Prompt, etc.

terryl at tekcrl.TEK.COM terryl at tekcrl.TEK.COM
Mon Feb 22 08:27:01 AEST 1988

In article <392 at lscvax.UUCP> ram at lscvax.UUCP (Ric Messier) writes:
>Perhaps I didn't get the joke either, but 'set prompt = "."' doesn't
>work on this machine. We are running 4.3 BSD here and I am in csh. Also,
>PS1 = "." which is the same thing, doesn't work either. No big surprise
>there, I suspect. Any idea why?

     You answered your own question. It *was* supposed to be a joke. Remember,
in just about any UNIX system, "." refers to the current directory. Nowhere in
ANY of these postings did it say that "." would substitute the REAL ABSOLUTE
path name in a prompt. People just shouldn't take things so literal (especially
when talking to ANY kind of unix wizard; they have such a warped sense of
humor!!! (-:).

>While we are on the subject of things not working, I would like to know
>why I can't get my sysline to work. I am on a VT100 but I can't seem to
>get a sysline. Meanwhile, not an hour away, Dartmouth is also running
>what I believe to be the same version of Unix but they can get it to
>work. Is it me? Is it local? Am I a raving lunatic who doesn't have any
>idea what he is talking about or do I have a legitimate concern about
>world peace? Any help anyone can offer is and will be greatly
>appreciated.

     Probably the raving lunatic is more correct!!! (Insert MANY (-: here!!!).
Actually, look at the termcap entry (for BSD-type systems) or terminfo entry
(for Sys V-type systems) and see if they're different. It could be that the
entry for vt100 on your system doesn't describe the sysline capability, and
the other machine does.

Boy
Do
Hate