bug report etiquette

Doug Alan nessus at athena.mit.edu
Sat Feb 27 16:03:02 AEST 1988

In article <2346 at umd5.umd.edu> chris at trantor.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes:

> (For that matter, I know of no one who uses cooked /dev/mt devices
> anyway.  Without a way to set the block size, and given the
> repositioning error on 9 track tapes, what good *are* block tape
> devices?  They make terrible disk drives.  Hence a bug in the block
> code is hardly juicy.)

I've used block tape devices a lot.  We have many DEC TK50 streaming
tape drives here (one came with every one of a couple hundred VS2's we
received).  The TK50 performs very very very slow and unreliably if it
doesn't get to stream.  The block device is double buffered, while the
raw device is not.  If the raw device is used with the TK50 drive, the
tape drive doesn't stream.  If the block device is used with the TK50
drive, the tape drive does stream, and is much much happier.