Shared Memory in BSD4.3 is lacking?

Brandon Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Thu Feb 25 07:48:12 AEST 1988

As quoted from <2329 at umd5.umd.edu> by chris at trantor.umd.edu (Chris Torek):
+---------------
| Anyway, BSD does not have System V style shared memory (which might
| more accurately be called `USG 3.0 style shared memory') because
| System V shared memory is wrong.  (Now there is a good flammable
| statement for you :-) )
+---------------

Umm, as far as I know, USG 3.0 (== System III) did NOT have shared memory.

What exactly is wrong with System V's shared memory?  I haven't seen any
problems with it, and certainly it's not the pain that Xenix shared memory
is (as an example; you can't leave shared memory attached across system
calls, even!).  Don't take this as a flame:  I'm truly interested in what
might be lacking.  (It works for what I do, but I'm not exactly at the
forefront of software/hardware research.)
--
	      Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc
       {well!hoptoad,uunet!hnsurg3,cbosgd,sun!mandrill}!ncoast!allbery