AT&T/Sun merged UNIX

Charles L Ditzel benoni at ssc-vax.UUCP
Tue Feb 23 12:19:23 AEST 1988

In article <1645 at winchester.mips.COM>, mash at mips.COM (John Mashey) writes:
> In article <1684 at ssc-vax.UUCP> benoni at ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) writes:
> >An observation occurred to me last night :) the problem with the people that
> >are know griping the most about AT&T and Sun bringing SysV and BSD together
> >are the people that would have sold you their very own closed systems
> >yesterday.
> This is a drastic over-simplification of a complex issue, which is NOT

Of course it is.  But there just happens to be alot of truth to it.  There
are certainly two sides to this issue.  Both Apollo,  DEC and the other
companies involved have a vested interested in all this.  Apollo (according
to the trade rags) is losing ground quite rapidly in the workstation market.
the year before things were pretty even between Apollo & Sun.  Last year
Apollo's share had dwindled to 19% while Sun was up to about 28%.  Meanwhile
DEC is trying to become a major player.  The posturing and alliances that
are going on now has high stakes for the companies involved.  I don't think
anyone is going to convince me that DEC and Apollo would not just as soon
sell you VMS and Aegis (respectively).

> >Like DEC and Apollo...(Funny DEC and Apollo didn't complain when Mr. Joy
> >gave them BSD 4.[23]... :^)
>
> Some of this might be rewriting history: I was under the impression that
> a number of people had contributed to 4.X BSD, and in fact, had included some

Before you take this last comment TOO seriously note that their is a :^) on
it...(obviously Mr. Joy was not the only person involved, i suppose humor
is a matter of perspective :^).