AT&T/Sun merged UNIX

John Mashey mash at mips.COM
Mon Feb 22 14:13:44 AEST 1988

(I ESPECIALLY SPEAK FOR ME ONLY!)
In article <1684 at ssc-vax.UUCP> benoni at ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) writes:
>An observation occurred to me last night :) the problem with the people that
>are know griping the most about AT&T and Sun bring SysV and BSD together are
>the people that would have sold you their very own closed systems yesterday.
>:^)

This is a drastic over-simplification of a complex issue, which is NOT
a protest of merging BSD & SYSV, which after all, has been done by various
parties before.  Having been involved in a number of the relevant meetings,
I can't really say much.  I would say that more the real issues have been
surfaced, and attempts are being made to deal with at least some of them
by the appropriate parties.  The issues are complicated, and there are
many involved, all with different agendas; by the time things filter thru
the press, it is VERY hard to know what's going on, and almost anything
you see printed is probably at best a partial story!

>(Did you also notice that their the companies that don't have a large
>marketshare in the workstation market OR they are losing market share
>REAL fast!!)

>Like DEC and Apollo...(Funny DEC and Apollo didn't complain when Mr. Joy
>gave them BSD 4.[23]... :^)

Some of this might be rewriting history: I was under the impression that
a number of people had contributed to 4.X BSD, and in fact, had included some
people who at the time worked for DEC.  I also thought DEC contributed in
other ways; could somebody closer to this clarify that impression?
UUCP: 	{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash  OR  mash at mips.com
DDD:  	408-991-0253 or 408-720-1700, x253