Background jobs and dialup lines.

Brad Smith brad at saturn.ucsc.edu
Wed Feb 3 17:19:45 AEST 1988

I've been having a problem with 4.3BSD Unix where logging out
of a dialup connection with a background job running leaves
the port in a state that the modem never gets re-enabled (DTR
never gets brought high again, or whatever is supposed to get
done), with the result that the modem no longer answers the
phone.  I have heard that this is a problem with /bin/csh, and
I may have even confirmed this (it fades in the haze of
"experiments"), but no one has suggested how to fix it.  Does
anyone know the true cause of this problem and, more importantly,
does anyone have a fix?

Thanks in advance,

Brad Smith
System Administrator