Unix vs. OS/2 (was RE: Pournelle on

cory at upba.UUCP cory at upba.UUCP
Wed Feb 3 07:44:00 AEST 1988

>> 1) Here are some O/S goodies that stock OS/2 (now playing on my desk)
>> has that stock Unix (also playing on my desk) doesn't have:
>>	[ Scott lists a bunch of things OS/2 has, that he thinks don't
>>	  exist on Unix machines. ]

>	[ Many people show him his ignorance. ]

>> 2) Microsoft/IBM marketing hype seems to bother some folks.  I will
>> wager a chocolate Dunkin' Donut that the number of dollars spent on hyping
>> Unix divided by the number of years Unix has been out is GREATER
>> than the number of dollars spent hyping OS/2 divided by the (fractional)
>> number years its been out. ...

	Microsoft, IBM, and AT&T all launch big $$ ad campaigns when they
	want to promote things, especially new releases.  Given the wager
	as Scott explains it, those months of little or no promo for new
	stuff by AT&T, compared to the fact promo bucks for OS/2 haven't
	started slowing down yet, clearly stack the deck against OS/2 and
	Scott.  Looks like Scott has alot of Donuts to buy people...

>> 3) Kernel hacking is not research.  A Unix wizard who doesn't know what
>> SIGOPS is loses five hit points.  Do the wizards sense extinction?
>>
>> 							Cheers, Scott

	You have to wonder about someone who measure penalties in terms
	of "hit points".  I don't think Wizards need worry about anything.

					-Cory

...!ihnp4!upba!cory (Cory Dekker @ United Phone Book Advertisers)| DISCLAIMER:
Work: 1221 N St, Suite #800; Lincoln, NE 68508 {Ph: 402-476-2200}| My posting..
Home: 800 Foxcroft Ct, #188; Lincoln, NE 68510 {Ph: 402-483-7761}| MY opinions!