shell wierdness

Michael Winser michael at trigraph.UUCP
Thu Feb 4 09:04:13 AEST 1988

This is a little hard to explain so bear with me if I get a little
vague.

I have two filters foo and bar

they are meant to be used as follows:

foo arg1 | bar arg2 > file

Yet when I do this, they consistantly generate a new line on the
terminal.  If I pipe to cat instead of redirecting to file the
results are the same *most* of the time!

If I run them seperately:

foo arg1 > /tmp/foo
bar arg2 < /tmp/foo > /tmp/bar

then all goes well and nary a line to be seen!

If I enclose the pipeline in parens:

( foo arg1 | bar arg2 ) > file

then again, *no* newline to be seen.

This happens in both the Bourne shell and the Korn shell,
but *not* with the csh.

If you know what is going on or have heard of some wierd shell bug/feature
please send me email.

Michael

--
...utscri!trigraph!michael            Michael Winser
michael at trigraph.UUCP                 Trigraph Inc.