Novice games (was "Prompt Games")

Michael I. Bushnell mike at turing.UNM.EDU
Sun Feb 28 15:25:32 AEST 1988

The discussion about aliasing "alias" led me to the following trick:

  % alias "unalias" \\unalias
  % alias "alias" \\alias

The recorded alias for unalias is '\unalias', and that for alias is
'\alias'.

Now, when someone types 'alias', the shell turns that into '\alias',
and then, the backslash suppresses alias expansion, and the shell
tries to execute the program 'alias'.  It ends up printing "alias:
command not found.".  Of course, the same thing happens for unalias.
There is no way out short of starting a new csh.

				--Mike
				Michael I. Bushnell
				Internet: mike at turing.unm.edu
				UUCP: mike at turing.unm.edu
				Bitnet: mike at turing.unm.edu
				CSnet: mike at turing.unm.edu
				YourFavoriteNet: mike at turing.unm.edu
			Golly, don't domains make everything simpler?
For peoply who run UUCP but haven't switched over to smail *yet*, you
can try {ucbvax,gatech}!unmvax!turing!mike.

Or write:
  {Box 295, Coronado Hall} or {Computer Science, Farris Engineering Center}
  University of New Mexico
  Albuquerque, NM 87131
Or call:
  (505)277- [2992=dorm][6116=work]

I work for the CS department.  But don't blame them.