Input Line Editing In the Kernel

Barry Shein bzs at bu-cs.BU.EDU
Fri Jul 15 02:13:11 AEST 1988

I think people should restrain themselves from posting their wish
lists for software. Too much of it is easily mistaken for sarcasm, or
little children insisting there should be Peace on Earth.

Anal expulsive, basically.

Code, show us code!

(what I can't believe is that we all tolerate this sort of drivel but
that guy posts the code for ile and *he* gets flamed! I wonder if
unix-wizards hasn't sunk beneath redemption, an emotional outlet for
software bureaucrats and the Shop till you Drop crowd.

Don't tell me there are "appropriate" places to post code, many of us
don't distinguish between describing some design wish in english or
code, except that the latter is worth looking at as it carries some
force of plausibility, it's not the fact that a design argument is
written in C (eg), it's whether or not it's pertinent to the issue at
hand.

I'd far rather see the list "flooded" with code that implements
possible designs than masturbatory drivel that usually starts off by
presuming PI == 3.0, the earth is flat, man is basically good and
other "little" conveniences.)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

The only thing thing we seem to learn from history is that we do not
learn anything from history -- Hegel (roughly paraphrased)