Input Line Editing In the Kernel

Doug Alan nessus at wonko.MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 14 15:15:50 AEST 1988

In article <249 at pigs.UUCP> haugj at pigs.UUCP (Joe Bob Willie) writes:

> In a previous article Doug Alan expounded on the virtues of kernel support
> for input line editting and virtual terminal output.

> this is possible where the number of terminals which are supported is
> limited to some subset.

Hey, I never said that line editting and virtual terminal support
belong in the kernal!  I don't know how you got this idea.  In fact, I
think they definitely don't!  Where they belong is in a special
process devoted to this task.  This allows an infinite number of
different types of terminals to be supported because the process can
be anything the user wants and can be configurable.

Now, to make this work seamlessly may require a few kernal mods, and
those, I think, should be done.  In any case, I just posted a big
article more precisely saying how I think things should be.  See that.