"dd conv=unblock cbs=80"

Griff Smith ggs at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com
Thu Jul 7 00:13:19 AEST 1988

In article <10104 at tekecs.TEK.COM>, andrew at frip.UUCP writes:
| >> Can't you just do: "dd conv=unblock cbs=80 (or whatever)" to
| >> convert the file to standard Unix \n-terminated lines?  Hasn't this been
| >> part of Unix since at least v6?
|
| > Apparently not:  neither System III nor System V r3.1 supports it.  (I used
| > "strings" on both systems, to make sure it wasn't merely undocumented).
|
| Either your "strings" is busted or you have a crippled V3.1.  The
| vanilla AT&T 3.1 source tape includes a dd.c that implements this
| command.
|
|   -=- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!tekecs!andrew)       [UUCP]
|                         (andrew%tekecs.tek.com at relay.cs.net)   [ARPA]

Be nice to the poor fellow; "conv=unblock" was a BSD feature not supported
by AT&T versions of dd other than V[89].  As of SVr3 dd has all the
BSD features, but someone neglected to notify the documentation department.
It might help if some of the real customers would submit problem reports
complaining that the documentation is broken.
--
Griff Smith	AT&T (Bell Laboratories), Murray Hill
Phone:		1-201-582-7736
Internet:	ggs at ulysses.att.com