SysV RFS Puzzle

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Mon Jul 25 07:09:59 AEST 1988

In article <734 at mccc.UUCP> pjh at mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>I have Starlan and RFS running between a pair of 3B2/400s which are
>running SysV R3.1.2.  Machine mc3 is advertising resource mc3-root to
>the primary (mccc).  That resource is on mccc's automatic mount list,
>yet mccc says that there are no resources available for mounting.  ???
>
>What's happening?  How do I get mccc to mount mc3's resource?  Thanks.
>(I've been using the sysadm menus to do all this.  Is there a bug
>somewhere?)  I should point out that at one point mc3-root was indeed
>mounted on mccc's /mnt, but since rebooting mccc, I can't get mccc to
>mount mc3-root.

When you reboot the primary name-server, you lose all the resource names
although any current mounts would continue to work.  The solution is
to designate mc3 as a secondary name server or always re-boot it after
re-booting mccc. Or, you can fix things manually:
If you go to mc3 and "unadv resource_name" followed by "adv resource_name
directory", it should clear things up, and "nsquery" will show the
resource.  At that point you can go to mccc and mount it with the
command "mount -d resource_name directory".  There may be an automatic
recovery process attempting to do the mount, though.  If so you should
either wait till it succeeds or kill it after mounting manually.
If you have designated a secondary name server, note that it
takes over automatically if the primary goes down, but you must manually
switch back before anything new can be advertised (using "rfadmin -p" at
the secondary).  Also note that no process can be using the mount point
(or below) as its current directory when the mount is done (but this would
give a different error message).

 Les Mikesell