where to do line editing?

Greg Pasquariello X1190 gpasq at picuxa.UUCP
Fri Jul 15 23:55:54 AEST 1988

In article <593 at blblbl.UUCP> henrik at blblbl.UUCP (Larry DeLuca) writes:

>While it's not going to help the ile people much, it still seems the best
>place for a line editor of some sort is still the tty driver (ioctl's
>can be used to set characters or toggle between modes).
>
>The most simple line editing commands (rubout, line delete, and co.) are
>there already, and it is the only way to guarantee that they will be
>uniformly supported.

One of the problems with putting it there is that now every driver must
incorporate it.  This was one of the problems that SYSV STREAMS solved.  Rather
than putting it in the driver, put it in a pushable module that can be chosen
by the application.  I would suggest a well documented interface so that anyone
can create their own editors to work with the driver.  Now, applications (ergo
users) are able to select their own line editing, or no editing, or whatever.