where to do line editing?

Chris Calabrese[rs] cjc at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com
Fri Jul 15 00:32:08 AEST 1988

In article <143 at loquat.cis.ohio-state.edu>, karl at loquat.UUCP writes:
> al at gtx.com writes:
>    [line editing as in ksh is mighty neat, but might be better done
>    [...]
>
> I did it once.  I created a thing called liblinedit.a, which consisted
> [...]
> It occurs to me that ksh's editing library may even include a way to
> build a libedit.a suitable for such usage.

Yes, it does, and it's used internally at AT&T.
In fact something like this was available as a package from The Store!,
a free dial-up uucp service for owners of AT&T UNIXPC machines.  I'm
not sure if this actually taken from the Ksh, or if it was public domain,
but stuff like this is out there.

Isn't Ksh source is always available from the Tool Chest?

BTW, I wrote such a package in college (for vi compatable line editing
inside a shell which we were writing [we hadn't heard of the Ksh yet]),
and it was pretty straight-forward.
--
	Christopher J. Calabrese
	AT&T Bell Laboratories