performance measurement tools on UNIX??

bob desinger bd at hpsemc.HP.COM
Wed Jul 13 11:54:33 AEST 1988

> I would like to get some information on "Performance Measurement"
> tools in UNIX.

To measure your System V system, try sar.  To measure your BSD system,
try iostat and vmstat.  Many vendors offer some kind of monitor
program besides; ask your vendor's technical contact if they have one.
Also call your vendor's marketing department to ask about "Third Party
Software," packages written by other companies that are sold by them
or through your vendor.

To measure a specific program, try profiling.  On System V, use prof.
On BSD, use gprof.  Sometimes this is an option to your debugger.  See
Jon Bentley's _More_Programming_Pearls_ book for a great introduction
to profilers.

Off the top of my head, but I hope it helps.
-- bd