The Name of the Beast

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.UUCP
Sun Jul 31 02:32:25 AEST 1988

In article <1570004 at hpcvlx.HP.COM> squires at hpcvlx.HP.COM (Matt Squires) writes:
>/ hpcvlx:comp.unix.wizards /
>kluft at hpcupt1.HP.COM (Ian Kluft)
>/ 12:58 pm  Jul 26, 1988 /
>
>> Xinu (stands for "Xinu is no [sic] Unix")
>
>Are you sure?  The story I heard was that the official name of Xinu is
>"Mt Xinu", which is really "Unix tm", backwards.

no doubt this is the honest-to-god truth as far as the person who invented
it is concerned, but i suspect the lawyers prefer the "Xinu is not UNIX"
version much better.

the company i work for is "HECI Exploration Co.", we used to be "Humble
Exploration Co. Inc" until Humble Oil sued us.  someone in a fit of
brilliance (we had one day to change our corporate name) crammed all the
initials together and threw "Exploration Co." on the end.  we are quite
careful, however, to mention that HECI does not stand for ANYTHING.
--
John F. Haugh II                 +--------- Cute Chocolate Quote ---------
HASA, "S" Division               | "USENET should not be confused with