Salvaging info on a streamer tape

Jeffery Siou jeffs at wjvax.UUCP
Tue Jul 12 05:09:56 AEST 1988

       Help! I need help/info regarding restoring information off a
streamer tape that is possibly scrozzeled.

   Here's what happened....

    I've been saving and adding information on a tape. I started out
at 'mt fsf 0' and every time I needed to add something I used 'mt fsf x' with
x being the next unused track(or block) and now I'm at 'mt fsf 18'. But some
how or some where when I tried to go to 'mt fsf 19' I got an 'I/O' error.
Then when I tried going to 'mt fsf 18' same error. I then rewound the tape' mt
rew' , All the info was correct from 'mt fsf 0' to 'mt fsf 8'. I then tried
'mt fsf 9', then i did a 'tar -tv', there was supposed to be 10 files
here, but 3 showed up and then I got a 'tar:read error'. I can not go
to anything above 'mt fsf 9' without getting an error. Now my question is
is there any way to salvage track 10 through 18?  Again I can't get pass
'mt fsf 9' without getting an error.

Any help greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance.

|  jeffery siou                                                             |
|  ...!{ !decwrl!qubix, ames!oliveb!tymix, pyramid}!wjvax!jeffs             |
|  the above opinions are mine alone and not, in any way, those of WJ.      |