IBM speed

john at jetson.UUCP john at jetson.UUCP
Wed Jul 13 00:25:28 AEST 1988

In a previous article, Mark Williams <ccwilliams at wombat.dec.net.uq.oz> writes:
> Unix might be a bit faster if each user had his/her own one-cylinder
> filesystem.

Yes, especially without links or tree-structured directories.

If you want to organize your files under VM, you get several minidisks
(each an exact cylinder multiple) and put related files together....

I'll take the UNIX filesystem over that kind of speed any time.  (I've
worked under VM, so I know what it's like.)

--
John Owens		SMART HOUSE Limited Partnership
john at jetson.UUCP	(old uucp) uunet!jetson!john
+1 301 249 6000		(internet) john%jetson.uucp at uunet.uu.net