Funny dmf-32 behavior

Gordon Vickers gordon at prls.UUCP
Sat Jul 30 01:55:32 AEST 1988

In article <sEhS+rC at far-side.sm.unisys.com> dinh at sm.unisys.com (Dinh Le) writes:
->Dear wizards,
->	When the dmf-32 entry in the configuration file for our VAX-750
->running 4.3bsd is configured as:
->
->device	dmf0 at uba? csr 0160340 flags 0xfc
->	vector dmfsrint dmfsxint dmfdaint dmfdbint dmfrint dmfxint dmflint
->device	dmf1 at uba? csr 0160340 flags 0xfc
->	vector dmfsrint dmfsxint dmfdaint dmfdbint dmfrint dmfxint dmflint
->
->it was able to communicate with 12 terminals hook up to the 12 appropriate
->dmf-32 ports.
->	However, when I change the flags to 0xff, our VAX was not able
->to communicate with any terminals hook up to all 16 dmf-32 ports (no
->login prompts what so ever).  Doing 'ps agux' reveals that all ports
->are up and running (???).
->
->				'Dinh Le
->				ARPA: dinh at sm.unisys.com
->				UUCP: sdcrdcf!dinh

    I'm certainly no wizzard but, I too have a VAX 11/750 with a dmf32.
    Though I don't run 4.3bsd, I do run its' closest reletive, Ultrix.
       With-in the last year, I have built kernals using both 0xfc and
    0xff flags but have not experianced your problem.  The only differance
    between these two flags (supposedly anyway), is 0xfc specifies that
    ports zero and one on the device will use modem control, 0xff =
    no modem control.
       I know this doesn't really help you, but thought I'd pass it along.
    Could something else have changed between the test ?

 Gordon P. Vickers
 {mips, pyramid, philabs}!prls!gordon