Root shell in shell scripts, HELP?

Jim Meritt jwm at stdc.jhuapl.edu
Tue Jul 26 09:34:36 AEST 1988

WIZARD DISCLAIMER:  not me, man.  just a little trick I have run across...

In article <334 at marob.MASA.COM> daveh at marob.UUCP (Dave Hammond) writes:
}In article <833 at lsrhs.UUCP> led at lsrhs.UUCP (Jay Jungalwala) writes:
}>	Well see what I am looking for is a program (useing shell schripts)
}        ^^^^^^^^^                                    ^^^^^^       ^^^^^^^^
}        Well, see,                                   using        scripts
}>to make a root shell useing csh but haveing it set uid to root, but it can
}                      ^^^^^^         ^^^^^^^
}                      using          having
}>be run by non-root people.  See I need this, because I am writeing a exam
}                                                           ^^^^^^^^^^
}                                                           writing an
}>(computer) and I need a root shell in the exam.  And this will be executible
}                                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^
}                                                                   executeable
}>by everyone, but csh for some reason likes (I think) to do a getlogin(), then
}>a getuid() I on the getlogin().  So is there a way around this, or it can
}>also be a program (C) that will do it.
}>	Well if you need more info on what I am talking about here is my
}>mailing address:
}>	led%lsrhs at mit-caf.uucp	[Last I checked this worked]
}>And I will give you all the information that I can.
}
}I am having so much fun correcting the grammar that to answer the question
}seems almost superfluous. Besides, I can't seem to make heads or tails of
}what JJ is really trying to say :-). However, as a stab-in-the-dark, I would
}say he's looking for 'su'. No?

try
:!spell % | more

Disclaimer: Individuals have opinions, organizations have policy.
            Therefore, these opinions are mine and not any organizations!
Q.E.D.
jwm at aplvax.jhuapl.edu 128.244.65.5  (James W. Meritt)