Unix info needed

BoB Miorelli miorelli at pwa-b.UUCP
Sat Jul 9 03:39:48 AEST 1988

I need help in the form of good information.  Pratt & Whitney is about
to embark on a very ambitious workstation project.  Currently we have
one VAX 750 running 4.3 -- and that's the ONLY Unix in house.  We have
a large IBM installation and a fair number of VAX/VMS systems.  I am
the only Unix person and my experience is limited to VAX and Berkeley
Unix.  There are several major issues that have been identified for
immediate consideration and I'm asking those of you in netland to help
me out.  We have not yet decided on hardware either.  Keep in mind
that Pratt is not a software house, but an ongoing business with one
major product -- large aircraft engines.  With that in mind, I would
be interested in your thoughts on the following:

What are the real issues regarding the differences between System V
and Berkeley?  If we were to go to a Berkeley (or derivative of
Berkeley) what is missing?  The same question is being asked in reverse
(what do I miss if I have a System V with Berkeley enhancements)??
Specifically, what problems or restrictions are imposed by each
system with regard to the other.

This needs to be considered from a dumb user standpoint and a systems
administrator standpoint.  Also, what about application software
purchased elsewhere -- could changing the Makefile and re-make'ing
configure most systems to run on either system.

Personally, I see no problem in having a mixed bag of systems on one
large network, however management doesn't see it that way.  They
want to make a decision, not lock out future products, and have the
"Pratt standard workstation that does all with no problems".

Last, but not least -- I am well aware of the raging wars on Unix versions
and don't want to start another.  I am just asking for points to consider in
making our decision.  One more thing I would like to consider --
what's the status of IBM's AIX??  There is interest in it here but
very little information.  Give me it's plusses and minuses.

--

-->BoB Miorelli, Pratt & Whitney Aircraft
           also, H & R Block tax preparer and Instructor