OSF

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Thu Jun 9 12:03:38 AEST 1988

In article <5150 at nsc.nsc.com> glennw at nsc.UUCP (Glenn Weinberg) writes:
>>Certainly this completely misdescribes the AT&T UNIX System V Release
>>2 and 3 source licenses and sublicensing agreements that BRL signed.
>You mean that BRL can ship a version of V.3 that doesn't pass SVVS?

No, I meant that the article I was responding to misdescribed the AT&T
UNIX System V Release 2 and 3 source licenses and sublicensing agreements.
I explained this before, but for example there is no "renewal" necessary.

BRL is not actually a VAR; our sublicensing is for our internal needs.
I checked carefully to make sure that we did not have to be fully SVID-
compliant within our "site" (actually all of Aberdeen Proving Ground).

In fact the SVID requirement goes into effect after the end of this
month; systems shipped before that date are exempt, as are those
shipped under SVR2 licensing.  As a software USER, I rather like the
requirement.  I'm tired of getting systems advertised as "UNIX" that
have some warped notion of what that means.