grep replacement

Roy Smith roy at phri.UUCP
Mon Jun 13 00:19:55 AEST 1988

jad at insyte.UUCP writes:
> A missing feature in UNIX is the ability to deal with files with very
> long lines.

	Unless I'm misunderstanding jad, he's talking about fixed length
records.  Can't you just do: "dd conv=unblock cbs=80 (or whatever)" to
convert the file to standard Unix \n-terminated lines?  Hasn't this been
part of Unix since at least v6?

	Also, I agree with whoever said that taking context diffs out of
diff is a bad idea.  Context diffs is what makes patch work so well, and
patch is what makes the world go 'round.  Please don't take my context
diffs away-ay-ay.. (with apolgies to Paul Simon).
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute
{allegra,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers}!phri!roy -or- phri!roy at uunet.uu.net