grep replacement

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Mon Jun 20 00:24:54 AEST 1988

As quoted from <3350 at phri.UUCP> by roy at phri.UUCP (Roy Smith):
+---------------
| jad at insyte.UUCP writes:
| > A missing feature in UNIX is the ability to deal with files with very
| > long lines.
|
| 	Unless I'm misunderstanding jad, he's talking about fixed length
| records.  Can't you just do: "dd conv=unblock cbs=80 (or whatever)" to
| convert the file to standard Unix \n-terminated lines?  Hasn't this been
| part of Unix since at least v6?

Apparently not:  neither System III nor System V r3.1 supports it.  (I used
"strings" on both systems, to make sure it wasn't merely undocumented).  I
certainly think it *should* be in "dd"... it's a rather obvious tape-
conversion operation.
--
Brandon S. Allbery			  | "Given its constituency, the only
uunet!marque,sun!mandrill}!ncoast!allbery | thing I expect to be "open" about