Multiple aims (was: OSF, AT&T, and The Big Breakout)

David Collier-Brown daveb at geac.UUCP
Thu Jun 2 22:40:16 AEST 1988

In article <569 at hscfvax.harvard.edu> pavlov at hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) writes:
>  As most of us, deep in our hearts, know, this situation is more complex
>  than the black and white scenarios that have been painted.

  Darn right!
  This situation is at least multi-dimensional. (Maybe hyperspacial
(:-)).

	On one hand, we have the traditional cry, "lets have a second
source for critical part X".  Chip companies usually license their
chips out to sorta-competitors to give themselves a degree of
believability, and to give their customers a degree of safety.

	On the other, we have the "our car is better than your car"
syndrome.  IBM thinks VM is the best thing since baked bread. DEC
thinks VMS is better. IBM thinks MVS is the better. Dec thinks
Ultrix is wonderful. IBM thinks DOS/VS is the best thing since
sliced bread... I still think Multics is the better moosetrap.
Etc, etc, ad infinitum.
	Companies want to think they're the best.  Computer
companies haven't learned yet to be the best jeep, the best sports
car, the best station wagon, etc.  The industry (and the market) has
some maturing to do.

	On the third hand, there's FUD: Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.
Otherwise know as pissing in the soup so that it tastes bad for
everyone. [I had a long rant available on "the economics of a
common", but I didn't feel like inflicting it on you.]
	Companies like to attack their competitors, even if they
shoot themselves in the foot thereby.

	On the fourth hand (I'm symmetrical, if weird), no two
companies in a consortium will have the same ends or desires.
Indeed, no two **departments** will have the same ends. Expect
multiple aims, means and ends.

If I had to list them, I'd try something like this:

		Please note that this is an **OPINION**:
			I KNOW I'M BIASED!
              (Feel free to add columns and change weights)

Company    Second source  Ours is better   Fear and doubt     Other
=======    =============  ==============   =============      =====
HW-Bull          1                2                             3
HP               1                3                             2
NCR              1                                              2
Apollo           1                                              2
DEC              4                1                2            3
IBM                               3                1            2

--dave (formerly of Honeywell, now of Geac) c-b
--
 David Collier-Brown.  {mnetor yunexus utgpu}!geac!daveb
 Geac Computers Ltd.,  | "His Majesty made you a major