OSF, AT&T, and The Big Breakout

David Collier-Brown daveb at geac.UUCP
Thu Jun 2 22:47:30 AEST 1988

In article <569 at hscfvax.harvard.edu> pavlov at hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) writes:
>  2. There is a small chance that this development may result in the creation
>     of a new element that I believe is long overdue: a "heavyweight" user
>     group that has sufficient economic force to counter some of the nonsense
>     and capriciousness that virtually all of the major Unix vendors have
>     exhibited.  I do not believe in altruistic computer vendors.

  In my Honeywell days, I got to attend a HLSUA session in which the
vendor had to sit in a meeting where the misfeatures and weaknesses
of the system were discussed, pritoritzed and imposed, by popular
vote, on HW to fix.  And then report on their progress since the
last session.

  Scawwy stuff for a new graduate who tended to believe the (then
current) company line.

  That's the kind of pressure I'd like to see on all the vendors, to
counteract the biases of pure market pressures...

--dave
--
 David Collier-Brown.  {mnetor yunexus utgpu}!geac!daveb
 Geac Computers Ltd.,  | "His Majesty made you a major