"text: table is full" error message

der Mouse mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP
Sun Jun 26 18:19:43 AEST 1988

In article <507 at spp3.UUCP>, simpson at spp3.UUCP (Scott Simpson) writes:
> We are running stock SunOS 3.5 on a Sun 3/60 (diskless) and we keep
> getting the error message "text: table is full" error message after
> our Suns have been up a bit.  [...] I have even gotten these error
> messages when I have only 1 shell running and I am the only person on
> the machine.

Growing the text table may do nothing but increase the time your
machine can be up until it dies.  I understand that under some
circumstances, when an NFS server fails (times out) when the client is
trying to demand-load text segment pages from the image file, the
client's kernel may lose a text table slot.  And if you run out of text
table slots this way?  The only cure I know of is to reboot the client.

> How do you make your text table bigger?  (We are a binary site).

The simple way is to patch ntext in /vmunix and reboot:

	# adb -w /vmunix
	_ntext?D
	_ntext:
	_ntext:		28
(Hmmm, 28 slots?  Let's up it to 50.)
	_ntext?W 0t50
	_ntext:		0x1c		=	0x32
	$q
(There.  Now reboot....)
	# /etc/fastboot

(Some things can be patched in the running kernel and take effect
immediately.  _ntext is not one of these; you must patch the kernel
file and reboot.)

This change will go away next time you build a kernel.  Most kernel
configuration schemes have a way to override the default values for
things like ntext; see param.c in your system configuration directory.

					der Mouse

			uucp: mouse at mcgill-vision.uucp
			arpa: mouse at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu