"text: table is full" error message

Root Boy Jim rbj at arpa.icst-cmr
Fri Jun 24 07:05:55 AEST 1988

? From: Guy Harris <guy at gorodish.sun.com>

? Note: despite what at least one person believes, increasing "maxusers" does
? *not* violate the terms of your Sun license nor does it violate the terms of
? the AT&T binary license.  "maxusers" is not used to enforce maximum user
? limits; I think that's handled by bundling the prices of a license expansion
? into the price of the terminal muxes.

This is a very good point. MAXUSERS generally sizes various tables, and should
not be construed as a limit on the number of real users. We have a Sequent
machine which enforces the number of *logins* on both real and pseudo ttys
(rlogin == login) in /etc/init with the aid of a fake entry in /etc/passwd.

So the only (minor) point I would add to Guy's posting is that terminal
muxes are not entirely the issue, as they do nothing to limit network access.

However, you can be sure that vendors will force you to upgrade your license
to cover all the tty ports provided by muxes, unless you can convince them
that you want to run another 16 laser printers off a tty device :-)

And isn't it nice to see Guy and me being so polite to each other these days?

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
	The opinions expressed are solely my own
	and do not reflect NBS policy or agreement
	Careful with that VAX Eugene!