"text: table is full" error message

The Demented Teddy Bear dieter at nmtsun.nmt.edu
Tue Jun 21 09:23:30 AEST 1988

I'm having trouble convincing trwind.trw.com that it can talk to
trwr (doesn't grok trwr!simpson at trwind.trw.com), so I'm posting.
Someone will surely explain in gory detail if I've gotten something
wrong :-).

In article <507 at spp3.UUCP> you write:
>We are running stock SunOS 3.5 on a Sun 3/60 (diskless) and we keep getting
>the error message "text: table is full" error message after our Suns have
>been up a bit.  When this happens, the OS kills our processes.  I have
>even gotten these error messages when I have only 1 shell running and I am
>the only person on the machine.  There are not a whole lot of other root
>processes sitting around either.

The key is the number of *different* processes that are running.  Fifteen
/bin/csh processes use one text table slot.  However, /bin/csh, /usr/bin/
suntools, /usr/bin/othertools, and /usr/local/bin/emacs use four text slots.
If this still isn't clear, drop me a note.  I'll try to do better.

>maxusers	8	    # Made this puppy bigger

You probably want maxusers to be 10 or 12, if that doesn't cause
problems.  Since 3/60s have 8 Mb memory (I believe), that should work
fine.
Next step is in /usr/sys/conf/param.c, around line 50, is a line that
reads "int ntext = N + MAXUSERS;", where N is some number.  You might want
to increase N.  We're using 24, and things seem to work fine.  However,
our MAXUSERS is 16, so you might want to add a fudge factor.

>pseudo-device	win128
>pseudo-device	dtop4
>pseudo-device	ms3
>pseudo-device	kb3

You can make up for the space used by the extra text slots by reducing
these numbers some.  Does your 3/60 really have 3 mice and 3
keyboards?  If you (as I suspect) only have one of each, change "ms3"
and "kb3" to "ms1" and "kb1" respectively.  If you only have one
monitor, you can also reduce "dtop4" to "dtop1".  "win128" says you
can have up to 128 windows/pixrects (effectively).  There's actually a
fudge factor of about 2.5 in that, so call it 50.  Do you *ever* have
50 windows at a time?  It seems unlikely.  We're running that
particular value at 32, and have never had any problems with it.

Good luck.

Dieter (3.2 source is nice.  Too bad we're running 3.5) Muller
--
Welcome to the island.  You are number six.
...cmcl2!lanl!unm-la!unmvax!nmtsun!dieter
dieter at nmtsun.nmt.edu