"text: table is full" error message

Guy Harris guy at gorodish.Sun.COM
Tue Jun 21 04:54:26 AEST 1988

> We are running stock SunOS 3.5 on a Sun 3/60 (diskless) and we keep getting
> the error message "text: table is full" error message after our Suns have
> been up a bit.  When this happens, the OS kills our processes.  I have
> even gotten these error messages when I have only 1 shell running and I am
> the only person on the machine.  There are not a whole lot of other root
> processes sitting around either.  How do you make your text table bigger?
> (We are a binary site).  I tried increasing the number of our users in our
> kernel to no avail thinking that might increase the size of the kernel
> tables.

You increase the number of users.  Check out "param.c"; "ntext" is computed as
"24 + MAXUSERS".  You may just not have increased it by enough, or there may be
a "leak" (I fixed one such leak in 3.2, but there may be others left; there
aren't any such leaks left in 4.0, since 4.0 doesn't have a shared text
table...).

Note: despite what at least one person believes, increasing "maxusers" does
*not* violate the terms of your Sun license nor does it violate the terms of
the AT&T binary license.  "maxusers" is not used to enforce maximum user
limits; I think that's handled by bundling the prices of a license expansion
into the price of the terminal muxes.