Open Software Foundation

Dan Trottier dan at maccs.UUCP
Wed Jun 1 03:46:07 AEST 1988

In article <54822 at sun.uucp> guy at gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
>> 	God, I just hope this desease doesn't spread to Sun!
>>
>> Perhaps it has. Pascal and Fortran have been unbundled, but that's okay,
>> as nobody uses them anyway :-)
>
>Note: the unbundling of Pascal and FORTRAN was in no way prompted by any action
>on the part of AT&T.  AT&T doesn't run Sun, or dictate its software marketing
>policies (except to the extent that their licenses do so).  We have no
>expectation that they will do so in the future.

So just why was Pascal and FORTRAN unbundled? I understand from a marketing
standpoint the benefits of unbundling these languages but what is happening
to your Berkeley origins? Even things as sacred as games have been pruned :-(
What is next? UUCP? Mail? Csh? [NT]roff? or dare I say C?
[Yes I know only the Csh is Berkeley. Substitute your favorite BSD utilities]

Wait for the Sun 5 series. Kernel in ROM and a lot of empty disk :-)
Sure Unix only costs me $500.00 but it would be nice to have a few commands.

Dan Trottier
<<<<<<<<<<<<   These are my opinions, mine all mine so lay off   >>>>>>>>>>>>
--
       A.I. - is a three toed sloth!        | ...!uunet!mnetor!maccs!dan
-- Official scrabble players dictionary --  | dan at mcmaster.BITNET