Unbundling (was Re: Open Software Foundation)

Guy Harris guy at gorodish.Sun.COM
Wed Jun 1 15:58:43 AEST 1988

> So just why was Pascal and FORTRAN unbundled?

I hope you're not asking me; I specifically stated that I didn't know the
reason.

> I understand from a marketing standpoint the benefits of unbundling these
> languages but what is happening to your Berkeley origins?

BSD has EFL and "msgs", we don't.  It's not an issue of "Berkeley origins".

> Even things as sacred as games have been pruned :-(

That was for tape space reasons (putting the games on would have required an
extra tape in one of the distribution formats).  "Fixed in 4.0".