OSF, etc. -- some facts, some rumors

der Mouse mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP
Thu Jun 2 19:59:14 AEST 1988

In article <846 at fig.bbn.com>, rsalz at bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
> Roughly half of the VAXen that DEC sells these days come with Ultrix
> on them.  (Someone on the net quoted a 15:1 VMS:Ultrix ratio; the
> only possible way this can be true is if you count dollar value of
> the systems sold.)

Or if you ask the question in comp.os.vms :-)

> When you count VAX workstations, more than half of DEC's machines go
> out the door with Ultrix.

Does anyone have figures on how many VAXen are still running whatever
it was they were sold with?  I'd be interested to see how many people
are effectively holding this sort of dialogue:

DEC: And which OS do you want on that VAX?
Cust: Whatever's cheapest; we're going to leave it in the box and run
  <other-OS> anyway.

(Why won't DEC sell the things without an OS?  Seems like pure greed to
me.  Sigh.  Or have they changed?)

					der Mouse

			uucp: mouse at mcgill-vision.uucp
			arpa: mouse at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu