how can I determine controlling tty if no file descriptor is open onto it? (System V r[23])

Mike "Ford" Ditto ford at elgar.UUCP
Mon Jun 6 13:26:03 AEST 1988

In article <550 at wsccs.UUCP> terry at wsccs.UUCP (Every system needs one) writes:
>In article <2661 at ttrdc.UUCP> levy at ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>>tries to exec() a machine binary or shell script, and if that doesn't work
>>sends an error message to the terminal and exits.
>
>"exec()" a shell script?  Try an execl() of 'sh -c script' instead, unless
>your exec() is weird.

There is no function called exec(), it's a generic name for the
exec{l,v}{p,e} set of entrypoints to the exec system service.  The "p"
versions (execlp, execvp) automatically run a shell if they are passed
the name of a script.  Mr. Levy obviously meant exec() in the generic
sense, and there's nothing wrong with that.

					-=] Ford [=-

"Once there were parking lots,		(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
now it's a peaceful oasis.		ford%kenobi at crash.CTS.COM
This was a Pizza Hut,			...!sdcsvax!crash!kenobi!ford
now it's all covered with daisies." -- Talking Heads