OSF & source code

Richard Stevens stevens at hsi.UUCP
Thu Jun 9 06:50:46 AEST 1988

With all the "stuff" thats been flying around about OSF, I haven't
seen anyone mention anything about source code.  With AT&T you
have always been able to buy the source code.  (I don't know what Sun's
position is on SunOS - can someone please tell me?)  Looking at the
IBM Announcement letter for AIX, they specifically say you *cant*
get the source code, even if you want it.  DEC will provide it
to you for "reference only" (they have a nice little note that
says they don't claim to provide you everything you need to build
an object kit).

I've always regarded the availability of the source code as one
of UNIX's best points.  We've bought the source code for our 2
VAX'es, and its been well worth it.  We plan to stick with BSD
and/or Mt Xinu, just on this basis alone, and avoid ULTRIX at
all costs.  The worst UNIX experiences we've encountered over the
past 5 years have all been with object-only systems (XENIX, for
example, and IBM's cpix).

I assume AT&T and Sun plan to make the S5R4 (or whatever) source
code available, as AT&T has done in the past.  I also assume that
the companies behind the OSF will try to avoid releasing source
code at all costs.

	Richard Stevens
	Health Systems International, New Haven, CT
           { uunet | ihnp4 } ! hsi ! stevens