4.2 vs 4.3 select() (ARRRRGH!)

Sean Casey sean at ms.uky.edu
Mon Jun 13 18:07:50 AEST 1988

I just tried out the select code that didn't work on 4.2 and
guess what? It works fine on a 4.3 system. ARRRGGGH! Why in the
hell did they distribute something that doesn't work as documented?

You know, when I was first experimenting with this stuff, I had to
go way out my way to find an undocumented ioctl() in 4.2 that
would correctly set the process group so that a process would get the
SIGURG that an OOB generated. Did the fcntl() work? Noooooo! Was
it available, yeeesss.

Now that I'm multiplexing, just getting a signal isn't good enough,
cause the program has to be able to figure out who sent the thing.

Does anyone know of a sneaky way to make this work on 4.2? Coding
around the problem is going to be a major unnecessary pain for me if I
can't find a way to make that select() work.

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey                        sean at ms.uky.edu,  sean at ukma.bitnet
***  The Empire select() Monster       {backbone|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean