Request BSD 4.23!

Guy Harris guy at gorodish.Sun.COM
Wed Jun 1 16:14:23 AEST 1988

> Is an AT&T-Toolchest source license ($200, last I checked) sufficient to get
> 4.3BSD sources?

Well, I'm not sure what an "AT&T-Toolchest source license" is (I thought the
individual programs in the Toolchest were individually licensed), but the
answer is "no" regardless of what it is, unless it is a complete UNIX source
license.  4.3BSD is derived from AT&T licensed UNIX/32V code, so you need a 32V
or better UNIX source license to get 4.3BSD source.

> (If so, 4.3BSD is extremely affordable... unless, of course, that $1500 was
> off by an order of magnitude.  Maybe THAT's where AT&T *really* screwed up.)

The $1500 is, I presume, the prices for an educational source license (if so,
inflation strikes - I seem to remember that S3 was somewhere around $600, and
V7 was closer to $100), or for the Nth add-on commercial source license for
some sufficiently large value of N.  I think the price for a commercial UNIX
source license is in the $65K range for the first machine.