How good is Apollo UNIX? (was: O'pain Software Foundation: (2))

Ronald O. Christian ronc at cerebus.UUCP
Thu Jun 30 11:41:58 AEST 1988

In article <3ce957a3.13422 at apollo.uucp> mishkin at apollo.com (Nathaniel Mishkin) writes:
>In article <2038 at ssc-vax.UUCP> benoni at ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) writes:
>>I tend to dislike the offering of two Unix systems on one machine.  You
>>end up with three operating systems (including Aegis) and YOU HAVE TO
>>USE AEGIS whether you want to or not (SR 9.7).
>
>I don't like multiple operating environments either, but we didn't exactly
>get to pick.  We could have "merged" the functionality, but before you
>suggest that, please do a close analysis and tell me how many program
>will break if not modified.  (I don't really want much to hear about
>how close System V and BSD really are.  They're not.  Sure, they can
>be merged if you don't care about breaking some unspecified set of
>programs.)

Seems to me the real problem is that Unix sits on top of AEGIS, not that
two flavors of Unix were supported.  Hell, the machine on which I am
composing this, a Sequent Balance 21000, has BSD and SYSV modes, but
the native OS is (mostly) BSD.  Having the native OS being Unix rather
than some proprietary operating system makes a *big* difference when
you have a development environment with a couple dozen kinds of Unix
boxes, a gaggle of Unix gurus, and no (0) AEGIS (for instance) gurus.

The fact that you *must* learn and use AEGIS to use the Domains is one
of the primary reasons we decided to purchase our workstations from one
of Apollo's competitors instead.  Never mind that AEGIS is better than
Unix, that's not the issue.  It's *not* Unix.

BTW, anyone want a couple of Domain 3000's?  We've been trying to unload
them for some time now, but still no takers.

				Ron
--

      Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
      {amdahl, pyramid, sun, unisoft, uunet}!cerebus!ronc

      Calling all Fujitsu Usenet sites!  Contact cerebus!ronc or
      ronc at fai.com to establish uucp connection.