How good is Apollo UNIX? (was: O'pain Software Foundation: (2))

Charles L Ditzel benoni at ssc-vax.UUCP
Thu Jun 30 17:18:40 AEST 1988

in article <3ce957a3.13422 at apollo.uucp>, mishkin at apollo.uucp (Nathaniel Mishkin) says:

> In article <2038 at ssc-vax.UUCP> benoni at ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) writes:
# As far as the fact that you have to use /com/rbak to retension a tape,
# I can't tell whether the "/com" offends you, or the "rbak" offends you
# or whether you really want to be able to use "mt retension" or what,
# but it hardly seems like a big deal.  At the forthcoming software release,
# we have restructured the software distribution to be more Unix culturally
# compatible.  All the tools that don't come with BSD or System V but that
# are needed to maintain an Apollo system are in /etc or /usr/apollo/...
The question was how good was Apollo Unix. Not how good was Aegis? A
number of Unix functions do not perform well without Aegis...tar needs Aegis'
rbak...

> As far as system administation goes, I'm sorry if you think the way to
> maintain a network of 1000s of users is by editing and distributing
> /etc/passwd.  I happen to think that tools that do similar operations
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't EVERY Apollo have a local
registry (the functional equivalent of /etc/passwd) and yes I know that
typical networks use master registry...but as far as I can tell you
handout the same basic information .... I have no gripes against the tools
used as long as their is a high degree of compatibility for Unix
programs to function...unfortunately the /etc/passwd I am familar with
on Apollos does not contain the encrypted password information...so
if you had a Unix script that told you who had passwords by looking
at /etc/passwd , it won't work.(Again I am talking SR9.7 and before...
I don't know what the soon to be released SR10 looks like)

>>when Apollo went to SR9.5 they introduced an ingenious bug in there
>>ACL command ...  Since their current Unix (SR9.7) depends on
>>access control lists (ACLS) this command is frequently used
>>for system administration ...
> Thanks for making this bug in our software more widely known so that people
> will know to avoid it.  Give me a break --
WHOA! I didn't learn about the ACL bug from Apollo.  Are you kidding?
I have yet to see monthly bug reporting let alone any bug information...
I learned about this from the 'net.  A couple of burned users reported
it back at 9.5 on Usenet. At SR9.7 and it still exists.

> similarly serious bug in their software?  What does it have to do with
> how well Apollo's do Unix?
Pre-SR10 Unix LIVES on ACLS.  This IS the primary tool for finding out
what your Access Control Lists are.

Further followups should be posted to comp.sys.apollo ....