rsh and nfs home directory

Dr. James George Dunham jgd at pollux.UUCP
Wed Jun 29 12:05:04 AEST 1988

	We are running 4.3 + NFS from Mt. Xinu on some 750's and uVAX-II.
I recently split up the /usr2 (user) file system across machines and
then used NFS to network then together as a single /usr2 directory. I
have discovered a problem when a regular user attempts to do a remote
command to a machine where his home (login) directory is on an NFS
mounted directory, i.e., another machine physically has his files. The
command fails with "permission denied". Further background is that root
does not have superuser priviliges on NFS mounted file systems. The
machines are set to run with each other being an equivalent host. The
problem appear with and without yellow pages running. Further, the
user has a .rhosts file with the other machine given permission to
execute remote commands. I admit I have not spent much time digging
into the problem, but perhaps someone else has observed the problem
and can provide a solution. Thanks for any help.
				-Jim Dunham
				 pollux!jgd