grep replacement

andrew at alice.UUCP andrew at alice.UUCP
Thu Jun 2 06:27:17 AEST 1988

in my naivity, i had not been following netnews closely
after i posted the original ``grep replacement'' article.
I assumed that people would reply to me, not the net.
That is the reason i have not been participating in the discussion.
i will be posting my resolution of the suggestions shortly.

many people have written about patterns matching multiple lines.
grep will not do this. if you really need this, use sam by rob pike
as described in the nov 1987 software practice and experience.
the code is available for a plausible fee from the at&t toolchest.