grep replacement

Kent Forschmiedt kent at happym.UUCP
Thu Jun 2 12:35:46 AEST 1988

In article <136 at rubmez.UUCP> frei at rubmez.UUCP (Matthias Frei ) writes:
>I want following flags:
>
>	- d	divert the file
>		"matches" to stdout
>		"nomatches" to stderr
>	-r	exchange stdout and stderr, if -d is given

I second the vote - just today I did one of these:

grep $PATTERN file > afile
grep -v $PATTERN file > anotherfile

Note, however, that -v will serve for the suggested -r.

>Will you post Your new grep to the net ? (I hope so)

>From alice.UUCP??  Ha ha!  That's Bell Labs!  It will be in V10
Unix, and none of us humans will see it until sysVr6, and only then
if we are lucky!!
	Kent Forschmiedt -- kent at happym.UUCP, tikal!camco!happym!kent
	Happy Man Corporation  206-282-9598