Spooling to an Encore annex via lpd

John Sloan jsloan at wright.EDU
Mon Jun 20 00:34:01 AEST 1988

in article <5114 at super.upenn.edu>, david at linc.cis.upenn.edu (David Feldman) says:
> I am currently trying to get lpd to spool through an annex UX port.  Or,
> I am at least thinking about it.  The target device is a laserwriter
> (SUN) running postscript.
	:

If you ever figure out how to do this reliably you should do the net a
favor and announce it. In our version of Transcript (admittedly not the
latest one), the filter pscomm talks directly to the device /dev/lw (or
whatever you have it configured for), which makes it difficult (I'm not
enough of a Unix expert to claim impossible) to fork and exec pscomm
from another lpd filter that speaks TCP/IP to the Annex. The network
filter to talk to the Annex is not difficult to write, given the C code
that comes with the Annex as an example. Is there an undocumented switch
for pscomm that makes it behave differently?

Everytime you see someone on the net who says something to the effect "We
have our Laserwriter hooked up to a serial port on a XYZ ethernet
terminal server, but sometimes something doesn't print and we don't know
why" you know that they've got a unidirectional connection and they're
throwing away all the error messages generated by the printer that would
normally have been logged by pscomm.

--
John Sloan, The SPOTS Group    Wright State University Research Building
CSNET: jsloan at SPOTS.Wright.Edu  3171 Research Blvd., Kettering, OH 45420