O'pain Software Foundation: (2) Why is it better than AT&T?

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Fri Jun 10 10:57:06 AEST 1988

As quoted from <3c67f93d.ddc1 at apollo.uucp> by perry at apollo.uucp (Jim Perry):
+---------------
| Bell Labs was not in the commercial computer business and therefore made
| it widely available, and many people implemented it on a variety of hardware.
| Now AT&T (along with Sun) is in the position of developing it in the character
| of a product rather than a research item.  The argument goes that if AT&T+Sun

Bogus argument.  AT&T has been developing Unix as a commercial product since
1984 at least, quite successfully, and doing all those evil things you
mentioned with it.  Sun has been doing so for at least that long as well.
Why, then, did it take 4 years for the OSF to be founded?
--
Brandon S. Allbery			  | "Given its constituency, the only
uunet!marque,sun!mandrill}!ncoast!allbery | thing I expect to be "open" about