Front-ends to SCCS?

Tim Beres beres at cadnetix.COM
Sat Jun 4 06:12:25 AEST 1988

In article <698 at vsi.UUCP> friedl at vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>     I need to implement a configuration management system on a
>couple of customer projects.  While I know of some high-end
>systems in development (one really cool one at AT&T), these are
>overkill in the short term.  Basically, I cannot imagine that
>anybody out there uses SCCS without some front-ends to manipulate...

	Probably not the answer you wan't, but...I designed just such a
front end about 2 years ago.  First the specifics, then a recommendation:

	*  Front-end to the myriad of commands and options, written in C.
	   This did extensive permission checks to allow our users (BTW, this
	   was at a different Co.) to look at, but not modify source, unless
	   they were *The SCCS Administrator*.  Some of the specifics escape
	   me, but if you want a secure front end, you have to setuid it to
	   this account, with some additional checks in the front-end.
	   Note: there is some documentation around that describes how to
	   make an SCCS front end security conscious.  I believe it came
	   with the AT&T Un*x SysV docs.
	*  Since all that the front end did was to enhance security provisions
	   I implemented a Bourne Shell user interface to talk to the front
	   end.  This piece was the only nice and elegant part of the system.
	   With shell functions and such, it hid all of SCCS's ugliness from
	   the admin (me - how's that for seperation of powers?).

	Recommendation:

	*  Forget SCCS.  Use RCS or bite the bullet and use the "cool AT&T"
	   or Sun's NSE.  SCCS is horrid to use and doesn't do things that RCS,
	   say, does.  Worst of all, the things you put into your front end
	   can modify *the CM system* you are creating.  You must then port,
	   fix and track your front end(s).  Why not let someone else do that
	   dirty work, and you can busy yourself with the procedures necessary
	   for your customers to actually use the system.

	   If anyone needs more detail on the front end I did, forget it.
The info is probably proprietary^.  I don't have the specs or code and it ain't
worth it to you anyway.

^ - My former employer, Tech-Source/Tech-Source Labs/Tech-Source a Div. of
    Ciprico/FCG Engineering/Florida Computer Graphics (same place and people -
    many guises), may or may not be around.  Rhetorical question:  if your
    former employer bites the dust, what about all the agreements you signed?

		-Tim

[[I would disclaim this, but unfortunately I had to sign a
  non-disclaimer agreement]]
Tim Beres   Cadnetix, 5775 Flatirons Pkwy, Boulder, CO 80301
            beres at cadnetix.com  {uunet,boulder,nbires}!cadnetix!beres