HP-UX Plug

Mike Light mlight at hpiacla.HP.COM
Thu Mar 17 02:58:01 AEST 1988

> I had mentioned problems with International language support with HP-UX.
> I've been corrected by the folks at HP, who say that they are in fact
> X/OPEN compatible.  I accept this as true.  I should have been clearer
> in saying that my concerns lay mostly in the Japanese/Chinese arena.

> The new question is, is HP-UX in full conformance with all of the Japanese
> JIS standards ?? Compatible with the AT&T Sys V NLS, which seems to have
> many vendors supplying conformant products ??

Unfortunately we don't conform to JIS.  HP merged support of Katakana
(phonetic language) with a "subset" of JIS characters to produce
a monster known as "HP-15".  HP may get its butt kicked for it later.

To the best of my knowledge, we are conformant with AT&T's SysV NLS.

-- Mike Light  (HP: Industrial Applications Center)
hpda!hpiacla!mlight