HP-UX Plug

rja rja at edison.GE.COM
Mon Mar 7 01:22:17 AEST 1988

  While I agree that HP-UX is nice and it does have stuff from BSD
it only passes SVVS/SVID for Unix System V.2.2 .  The current release
of Sys V is at least V.3.1 and there have been big additions.  For example
streams and support for International character systems.  HP does have
variants of HP-UX for international character support but in a
proprietary and non-V.3.1 compatible fashion.  If you use their international
scheme you get locked into their systems, losing vendor independence.
  Personnally, I prefer the V.3.1 international character support method
for various technical reasons, but expect that this verges on being
a religious issue and so will stop at that.  This isn't intended as a flame,
but rather an expression of frustration at the unclear reference to SVVS and
SVID compatibility in HP's print advertising, etc.  I actually like HP for
other things.