SVR3.0 vs BSD4.3

Sue Peru Sr. root at uwspan.UUCP
Wed Mar 30 07:16:44 AEST 1988

+---- In <1781 at bgsuvax.UUCP> Kenneth Kutz writes ----
| +---- In <2423 at bsu-cs.UUCP>, Rahul Dhesi writes ----
| | Here are some things I see under 4.3BSD that I don't see under SVR3,
| +----
|
| I've recently come from a System V environment to a BSD 4.3 environment.
| I've kept a list of some of the differences I've found.

In comparing this list to the SystemVr2 (Microport) that I have here, I found
a few things that didn't jive.  I would like to know if these are r2 -> r3
differences, or if they are "local additions".

| exit Sys V: From the shell prompt, will return the user to the login prompt
|      BSD  : Does not log the user out.

BSD 4.3 (NFS/Wisconsin)  exit does indeed log you out

| echo Sys V: Cursor control supported such as backspacing (\b), cursor up (\v),
|        tab (\t), no new line (\c).
|      BSD  : Cursor control only by embedding actual character (such as tab)

Is this a r3-ism or what?  \v would have to use the terminfo database...

| Sys V: "/etc/profile" is a system wide start up script that gets executed
|        for every user that logs in.
| BSD  : Set up the administrator how he sees fit.  No standard method.

/etc/profile works ONLY for the Bourne Shell users - no go for csh or uucico...

| Sys V: Bourne Shell provides variable "CDPATH".
| BSD  : Various shells from the net that provide wonderful things

Not in r2 :-(, but standard? in 4.2/3 BSD csh.

| Sys V: "ls -l" gives the UID and user name
| BSD  : Just user name

ls -l gives user name and group name under Vr2.

+----

--
Comp.Unix.Microport is now unmoderated!  Use at your own risk :-)