Origin of 'awk'

Ken Lee klee at daisy.UUCP
Wed Mar 9 10:41:24 AEST 1988

In article <2111 at ukecc.engr.uky.edu> wes at engr.uky.edu (Wes Morgan) writes:
>@AWK!!!@
>
>Is *this* the true origin of one of my favorite UNIX commands?
>Could it have really come from a campy 60's action/adventure show?

The authors of AWK were Alfred Aho, Peter Weinberger, and Brian
Kernighan.  Like all good Bell Labs hackers, they were Batman fans and
stole the expression from the show.  The Batman people sued for
copyright infringement, though, so our heros had to invent a logical
reason for the name AWK.  Thus, the disinformation you commonly hear
about AWK being the initials of Aho, Weinberger, and Kernighan.

Ken